What to Do If You Are Pulled Over on Suspicion of a DUI
When someone gets charged with a DUI, it can be life-changing. A DUI on your record can affect employment, child custody, and your driver’s license status.
If you ever get pulled over on suspicion of a DUI, be prepared to comply with the officer.
What to Do When Pulled Over for a DUI
First and foremost, it is imperative that you do not drink and drive. Do not assume it has been long enough since your last drink, and you can drive a vehicle. Do not think that you didn’t drink that much, and you’ll be okay behind the wheel. Instead, err on the side of safety and call for a ride-share.
If you are ever in a situation where you slipped in judgment, here’s what to do:
· Pull Over Immediately: If you have recently been drinking, you may feel like you need to flee the scene when you see those flashing lights behind you. Do not try to run from the officer. Instead, pull over and remain calm.
· Be Polite and Compliant with the Officer: Belligerence and defiance will not do anything to help your case. Instead, be kind to the officer and answer the questions politely.
· Do Not Assume Why You Were Pulled Over: When asked if you know why you were pulled over, do not assume it is because of drunk driving. State that you do not understand why.
· Do Not Lie about Drinking: If you are asked about drinking, you should tell the truth. You do not need to go into timelines or amounts of drinks.
· Do Not Offer Incriminating Details: Stay alert, speak clearly, and do not display any empty cans or bottles for the officer to see. You do not have to provide them with further evidence during the traffic stop.
· Request to Contact a Lawyer Before Participating in Field Tests or Breathalizers: Politely decline when asked to do a drunk driving test. You are likely on camera, so remember to remain calm and considerate while requesting that you speak with a lawyer before participating in a test.
If you need help with your DUI case, contact Miles & Hatcher, LLP. It is always best to have an expert on your side to help you navigate the charges. Call to schedule a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.