top of page

What to Do After Being Charged with a DUI

If you are caught driving under the influence, you can be penalized with fines, the loss of your driver’s license, and even jail time. It’s important to know what to do after being charged with a DUI and what measures to take to ensure it does not happen again.

Keeping others on the road safe is a priority. Read for some things to do after a DUI. Some may be court-ordered.

1. Contact a Lawyer: Immediately get on the phone with a lawyer who can help you with the complexities of a DUI charge. Lawyers are familiar with the law and know what you need to do to maintain your freedom while learning from the mistake.

2. Request a Hearing: You must request a hearing within 10 days of the charge. Stand in front of a judge and ask him not to revoke your license. Spell out the measures you’ve taken to ensure you never get behind the wheel again after drinking.

3. Get SR-22 Insurance: Sometimes, the court will require you to get SR-22 insurance after a DUI. This insurance is costly but will show the DMV that you are financially responsible for your vehicle.

4. Complete an Alcohol Education Program: Go through a court-approved alcohol education program to learn more about the effects and possible fatalities that can occur from drunk driving. Alcohol Education Programs cost money, but the cost is well worth the education you receive.

5. Use an Ignition Interlock Device: An ignition interlock device will only let you start your car if you pass a breathalyzer test right before driving. This will always remind you to only drive somewhere once you are sober and in the right state of mind.

All of these efforts will show your due diligence to the judge to avoid any mistakes in the future regarding drinking and driving. In addition, your compliance will help you take responsibility for your actions and move past your mistake.

Whom to Call After a DUI

Miles & Hatcher, LLP, can help you navigate the required steps after a DUI. Let our team guide you through righting your wrong. Call to schedule a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.

16 views0 comments


bottom of page