top of page

What If Divorce Is Too Expensive?

If you are putting off filing for divorce because you can’t hire a lawyer, there is another way. Even if you represent yourself, there are still fees that are associated with filing for divorce. Look into options for receiving a fee waiver for divorce.

Financial Assistance for Divorce

No one should ever have to stay in a marriage because they can’t afford a divorce. Instead, you can file for a fee waiver. It just takes a few extra steps in the process.

Read on to find out where to start:

1. File Divorce Forms: The first step to obtaining financial assistance is to fill out the divorce papers to show your intention to divorce.

2. Fill Out Fee Waiver Forms: Along with the divorce papers will be an option for a fee waiver. Fill out the form along with the other divorce forms.

3. Provide Proof of Income: Be ready to show that you need financial assistance by showing pay stubs or proof of monthly income.

4. Submit Paperwork: File the fee waiver forms along with your divorce paperwork. And then wait to hear back about the next steps.

5. Decision by the Judge: The judge may ask to meet with you to learn more about the situation. They may also choose to defer your payment if your ex-spouse has assets that could help pay for your portion of the divorce once things are settled.

6. Help from Legal Aid: If you don’t know where to start or how to obtain divorce paperwork, you can find support from legal aid. Many law offices provide special care to vulnerable parties that need assistance.

It may take some extra time, but there are options for people who need help paying for divorce fees. You do not have to feel helpless in an unhealthy marriage. Start the process of obtaining a divorce fee waiver today.

If you have more questions about divorce assistance, contact Miles & Hatcher, LLP. We want to help you get through your divorce in the most painless way possible. So call our office for a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.

12 views0 comments


bottom of page