top of page

What Happens If You Get Caught Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana?

It is common knowledge that it is illegal to drive while drunk. But what if you have been smoking marijuana? Is your driving impaired while smoking pot? Read on to find out more.

Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana

Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (DUID) is just as serious a charge as driving under the influence of alcohol. Even if you don’t think your driving is impaired like it is when you are drunk, marijuana negatively affects your ability to drive responsibly:

· Impaired judgment: You do not think clearly and make poor decisions regarding whether to stop at a light, change lanes, and slow down in traffic.

· Delayed reaction time: If you are following a car closely and they slam on their brakes, you will not be able to react as quickly as you would when sober.

· Mistaken spacial sense: You cannot correctly judge how close the light is and when you should stop. You may drive too close to a vehicle or start turning before the turn in the road occurs.

When driving under the influence of marijuana, you are putting yourself and others at risk. Even if you have a license to use marijuana legally, you should not drive until the substance has left your system. It has been proven that you are twice as more likely to get in a car accident when you have used marijuana.

When You Are Caught Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana

You will be subject to drug testing. If the drug test comes back positive, then you will be charged with a DUID. The officer will not have to prove that you were impaired. The presence of drugs in your system is enough for a conviction.

If it is your first offense, you may be charged up to $2,000 in fines, community service, a short time in jail, and/or a driver’s license suspension. The charges become more severe with each subsequent offense.

Suppose you have questions regarding marijuana use while driving or other legal concerns, contact our team at Miles & Hatcher, LLP. We can meet and learn about your situation and find a way to help. Call to schedule a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.

93 views0 comments
bottom of page