Taking your eyes off the road for even a second can result in a collision. Car accidents are alarming and unsettling, especially when you feel you are to blame. Before getting worked up about the situation, give yourself time and grace to process the shock of the accident. Read on to learn what you should do if you may be the responsible party in a car accident.
What to Do After a Car Accident that Is Your Fault
When you are in a car accident, you may not see the situation as clearly as you think. Things happen very quickly, and even if you feel you are at fault, it is crucial to wait and listen to witness accounts. Never leave the scene of the accident. What else can you do?
· Stay Calm: Do not yell. Do not try to shift blame onto anyone. Everyone processes shock differently but try your best to remain calm and talk in even tones.
· Call the Police: You must call the police in every car accident. Make the call to show you are ready to do the responsible thing and answer any questions related to the accident.
· Assess for Injuries: Check to see if anyone in your car has injuries or the people in the other vehicle. Safety and the well-being of the people involved are most important.
· Exchange Information: Share your insurance information and get the other party’s information as well. Remember, you don’t know exactly what happened in the accident or who caused it.
· Take Pictures: Document what your car looks like at the scene. It’s a good idea to take pictures of the other person’s car as well and take notes on any dialogue exchanged between yourself and the other party.
· File a Report: Talk with the police to file an official report. This will be needed in processing insurance claims and other steps.
You do not need to discuss your mistakes or details of the accident until you have a lawyer present. Instead, give yourself time to understand what happened once your adrenaline has settled. There are so many factors that go into car accidents, and you may not be the only one at fault.
You will find that our Miles & Hatcher, LLP, team is ready to assist you if you’ve been in a car accident. In addition, we can help you navigate your next steps in the process. Call to schedule a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.