Updated: Aug 30
Some people who run into trouble with the law choose to hire a lawyer that helped their aunt with taxes or approved real estate documents for their cousin. You must think about who you are hiring as your defense attorney. Just because someone has a law degree doesn’t mean they are skilled in criminal law.
5 Tips for Choosing a Great Criminal Defense Attorney
As you search for a lawyer, you can take your time to find someone who will fight for your case. Here are some things to consider when choosing your criminal defense lawyer:
1. Specializes in Criminal Law: Forget about your lawyer connection with the environmental law degree or divorce attorney. Instead, find a lawyer that deals exclusively with criminal law.
2. Experienced in the Specific Criminal Charge: Going a step further, find an attorney who defends those charged with the same crime as you. For example, if you are charged with a DUI, seek out a lawyer that works with DUI cases every day. The more specific experience you can find in your case, the better.
3. Local to the Courthouse: When looking for a lawyer, interview those familiar with the courthouse and county where your charges occurred. This familiarity will give you a leg up in the case.
4. Open to Questions: If you interview an attorney that is squeamish and skirts around questions, do not move forward with the process. You want to find representation that is transparent and open to answering any questions you might have.
5. Personable and Easy to Talk To: Along with answering questions, find a lawyer who is easy to talk to overall. When you build a solid relationship with your attorney, you can build trust along the way, knowing they will have your back.
You will find our team at Miles & Hatcher, LLP, to be open to answering all of your questions regarding your criminal case. We can provide you with our pertinent experience to prove that we are experts in criminal defense. Please call to schedule a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.