top of page

How to Have a Child Custody Agreement Modified

Over the course of raising a child, several factors can come up that would warrant a change in your child custody agreement. Whether your child has a rigorous sports schedule or has been admitted to a private school on the other side of town, their best interest is the top priority. You want them to have a comfortable, stress-free custody arrangement with both parents.

Requesting a Motion for Modification

Either parent can recognize a need to change the custody schedule and take action to alter the plan. A court will hear the reasons for modification and make a decision based on the child’s needs. The decision will then need to be strictly followed by both parents.

Here are the circumstances under which a custody arrangement may be modified:

1. A significant change in routine or lifestyle

2. The child’s best interest

When a child’s comfort and stability are in question, the court takes these matters seriously and listens to all complaints and suggestions for alterations.

What Is Considered a Substantial Change?

Changes in circumstance can include a variety of reasons that a judge will consider. The changes need to be permanent and not easy to resolve. Some of these reasons could consist of:

· A change of job requiring a move

· The mental health of a parent

· Schooling needs for the child

· An unstable living environment

· A sports program for the child

· The time each parent spends with the child

· A financial condition of a parent

· Any existing problem in the current custody agreement

While one of these circumstances may not be enough to change the custody schedule, a combination of two or more may be enough to appeal to the judge. Do not feel discouraged and speak with a lawyer about making the necessary changes. When you have a qualified team by your side, you will feel confident to do what is best for your child.

If you need help making changes to your child custody agreement, contact Miles & Hatcher, LLP. We have the experience to advocate for your child’s needs. Call to schedule a free consultation: (909) 481-4080.

11 views0 comments


bottom of page